Monday, February 18, 2008

Introduction

I browsed through the book section of Galway’s Amnesty store, looking for a quick read for an 8-hour bus ride to Londonderry. By-passing respectable manuals on how to end world hunger and how to fight the WTO, I picked up a trashy novel called "Fashionistas".

After an empty yet satisfying read, I thought, “I could easily write one of these hip-20-something-fashionable-girl-in-the-city-type novels.” Wouldn’t you know, the last page of the book was an advertisement asking, “Did you like this book? Think you could write a hip-20-something-fashionable-girl-in-the-city-type novel? Send your manuscripts here.”*

True to my claim, I decided to write my own piece of chick-lit. Not really sure why I was so convicted, but at the very least, it will get my creative juices flowing.**


*not a direct quote
**nastiest commonly used metaphor in the English language

No comments: